The inside of the Church. Dome (XV century). Particular of S. Pietro of the cona of altar (XVI century) by G. da Nola

            The Convento with the Chiesa of the Maddalena was founded by Charles I° of Angiò in 1269, outside Porta San Nicola, as Hospitium Lebrosorum, institution that in succession was transferred to the Ospedale of Sant' Eligio, in the same town of Aversa. In 1420 the Convento was given to the Minori Conventuali. Ten years later, in 1430, Iacopo Scaglione of Aversa made the beautiful cloister built of grey stone widened later by monk Angelo Orabona, archbishop of Trani, which added the marble pit with the coat of arms of the family name in it, and made the vaults of the porticos be fresco ed with stories and propitious Franciscans.
            The Francescani stayed there till 1813 when they occupied the
Convento of San Domenico. The building later became the casa of the madmen of the "Regno di Napoli".
            Of the ancient Angioin institution,
Convento and church of the Maddalena, nothing more has left, while the period rinascimentale the fine cloister with the pit goes back to the renaissance period surmounted by two renaissance small Tuscanian columns - the older one, San Bernardino's, was built during the liable pause of the saint in the Convent - and the the presbyterial area of the church with the high semisferical dome that emulates Florentine landscapes by Brunelleschi.
            The inside of the church, at a unique nave, in good part transformed in the baroque period, presents some works of remarkable artistic esteem: the
marble sarcophagus of Paolo Lamberto, made built by his brother Pirro in 1555, known as work by Giovanni da Nola, and, of the same author, the statues of the cona of the high altar. The works are of an expressive intensity while the realization is of an fine technique skill that invests each distinctive minimum particular. In front of the sarcophagus of Lamberto there is the marble one of Angelo Orabona (1575) with the coat of arms of the family name and, in the back, the relief of the Maddalena. On the right side of the, painted on the cloth with Gesù Bambino that appears to Sant'Antonio of Padova and frescos with the Miracoli of Sant'Antonio, of an unknown painter of '700; in the second, Santa Lucia, Sant'Antonio, Sant'Aniello that adore the Eucharistic symbol , of Nicola Mercurio (1713); in the third a very handsome ligneous Crocifisso on a trunk of a tree (beginnings XIV century); the following altar is ornate with the fresco of the Madonna col Bambino, of XVI century.
            On the right hand of thetransept ther is the beautiful cloth (in restauration) of the
Adorazione of the Magi (XVI century), by Pietro Negroni; on the right wall, a San Pasquale Baylon, according to Parente, by Onofrio Marchione (XVIII century). The cona of thehigh altar is fine with the relief of the Madonna col Bambino that overtops a church thatcorresponds to the modelof the sixteenth century of our Franciscan church and, in the niches, The Santi Pietro e Paolo. On the left side of the transept there is the table on the seventeenth century of Immacolata Concezione, that overtopped an altar (1777). On the left wall a cloth of the seventeenth century with San Francesco and Santa Chiara appear to San Pasquale Baylon, while on the right, the cloth with Jesus in the house of Marta and Maddalena ('600).
            On the left hand of the nave a cloth of the eighteenth century with
San Celestino; a cloth with San Pietro of Alcantara and San Bernardino ('700); in the second chapel, an interesting Crocifissione, while in the first emerges the very beautiful Maddalena (first half 1700), by Carlo Mercurio.
            Currently, a tryptych, a
Madonna between San Sebastiano and San Francesco by Angiolo Arcuccio (second half XV century), and two cloths with scenes of battles by Ilario Spolverini are restauration.
            In the pronaos of the façade there is a
marble decoration adapted as a sarcophagus.
            In the March of 1813 the Frati Minori left the convent that became a seatof the psychiatric Hospital, fate that many conventual structures suffered. After this change the Convent became "Casa di Cura dei folli" (1813).

Adoration of the Magi (XVI cen.), P.Negroni. Cona of altar (1555), G.da Nola. Wooden Crucifix (XIV cen.)

Return to page one
Artistic-monumental patrimony